Thursday, 4 May 2017

Progress of sorts......

My hopelessly optimistic deadline of completing La Mignonette by the end of March was, as predicted, just that.

Hopelessly optimistic.

We're now into May and still the ideas keep coming and I've reluctantly resigned myself to the realisation that it will NEVER be finished, as I will always think of just One. More. Thing.

Of course, I shouldn't beat myself up over my complete inability to draw a line under the project.  I've been making doll's houses and miniatures for 30 years and not once in that time, over my many dozens of houses, shops, room settings and displays, have I ever considered even one of them *completed*.

So I'm going to work with what I have and continue to add pieces as the fancy takes me.

Last week I was making some tiny dresses and costumes for the shop and decided that I needed a pretty clothes rail.  Extensive Googling revealed no kits for a 1/24th clothes rail, so I asked PP if she could make one for me.

Et voila....!

Tah Dah!


It's made out of leftover pieces of scrap wood from our 'Bits Box' and it's just perfect!



I've made a selection of silk and lace dresses, all on tiny half scale wooden coat hangers.


A few of the tiny dresses,  hand sewn in silk and lace
The boxes will contain matching shoes, hats and gloves!

Meanwhile, there have been exciting developments in La Mignonette.  Several weeks ago, Mlle Emilie discovered a very poorly fox lying in the gutter outside the shop.  It was suffering from severe mange, and had open wounds on its ear and around its neck. Presumably in its weakened state it had been set upon by dogs, and left to die.

Emilie took it in, carefully cleaned and bandaged his wounds and bathed him daily in a solution of hydrogen peroxide and borax to treat his mange.  Due to her care, and regular nutritious meals, he has gradually regained his lost vitality and joie de vivre.  His wounds are healing cleanly and his coat is becoming sleek and glossy.  Even Lucie and Archimedes, who were initially reluctant to welcome him into their home, have been won over by his calm and gentle demeanour.


Voltaire.... on the road to recovery

Despite being well enough to do so, he has shown no inclination to leave, so he has become one of the La Mignonette family. Emilie has named him Voltaire, after her favourite author. He seems a calm and sober fellow and will hopefully be a good influence on Lucie and Archimedes.

Perhaps I should rename La Mignonette to La Ménagerie...!

2 comments:

  1. A lovely trio of friends! What is that enFrancais? Trois des amis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy.... I think it might be Trio d'amis :)

    ReplyDelete