Thursday, 26 April 2012

Best laid plans.....

OK, OK.... so you knew I wouldn't be able to resist the lure of the kit.  I really thought I'd be able to stay focused and concentrate on clearing all my orders before even unpacking one of the boxes, let alone make a start on the dry build.

But, you know how it is.  I'd been hard at work all morning, then had to wait for at least 30 minutes for some painted items to dry, and rather than get on with something else I thought... "Why not clear off the worktop and see how the ground floor will go together?"

I love it when I ask myself questions like that, as the answer will invariably be....
"Excellent idea.... I need to measure up for flooring anyway....!"

So that was why I did a very quick dry run of the main building components this afternoon.  I was so pushed for time that I didn't even use masking tape to hold the walls together but it was enough to give me an idea of the overall size and layout.





This is the ground floor, with a lovely big shop display area. The windows and doors are pre-assembled, which is good in that I don't have to mess around with lots of little bits of wood to make them up, but bad in that it's a right pain trying to paint them with the glazing in situ. Or so I thought until I discovered that the glazing in the windows and the top fanlight of the door can be slid out to facilitate painting.  It's those thoughtful features which delight the impatient doll's house kit builder.

Annoyingly though, the glazing panels in the door are not removeable so I'll have to work around those.

You can also see the stairs on the right, which go up to the first floor, which has a door to allow access.I had only intended to see what the ground floor looked like, but something about the placement of the staircase set alarm bells ringing, so I quickly dismantled it and set about doing the the first floor.


The alarm bells were set off because I already have some lovely cabinets for Emilie's workroom, which incorporate a corner unit.  However, there is only one suitable corner for it, and that corner is right where the door is.


Buggrit.


I have no time today to see if there are any simple-to-make adjustments which would save me from having to rejig the entire staircase/door scenario.  Of course I could just make up the kit exactly as it should be and effectively block up the door by placing the corner unit in front of it but something about that solution unsettles me.  

I'm not averse to dummy doors and have used them many times when space has been at a premium and/or to achieve a trompe l'oeil effect.  However, the external staircase is an integral feature so I'm loath to lose it.  I suppose I could fit a door somewhere else on an inside wall to suggest an 'out of sight' internal corridor connecting the workroom to the exterior door.  


I'll have to wait until I have the time to do a proper dry build, with masking tape so that the whole thing holds together long enough to check out the possibilities.


So, the first problem has already been identified and I'm sure it won't be the last.  However, these things are sent to try us, and it's not the fault of the kit that I don't like the upstairs door where it is.  I'll just have to do some lateral thinking.....

8 comments:

  1. Looking forward to following your progress. My first dolls house was also the DHE Classical kit which I built 25 years ago. It got put away while my kids were very young but 2 years ago I refurbished it, adding lights etc and it reignited my passion for miniatures. I now have another 5 miniature projects on the go at the moment :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diane.....

    Ha...you won't stop at 5 you know. Once miniature madness has you in its grasp it won't let you go until you have to EITHER build an extension to your full-size house for your growing collection OR have to downsize to a studio flat.
    I thought I was in recovery until I saw the new DHE corner shop though so maybe the madness never goes, just lies dormant waiting for its chance to resurface.....

    Best wishes
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra,

    I have this kit too, it's only dry built! I have a ton of plans for it.....a secret though! ;o))

    Can't wait to see your's progress! ;o))

    Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hasten to add that I too dislike the upstairs door and external stairs. I plan on adding internal stairs and maybe make the ones outside a fire escape ?! I already know the theme and the look....just LOTS of other kits to finish or do more to yet.

    Michelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle....
    I knew I wouldn't be the only one to succumb to the charms of this little corner shop.
    I hadn't thought about adding internal stairs, only the suggestion of a door leading to some internal corridor. Stairs do take up a lot of space which I could put to better use.
    Can't wait to see what yours is going to be.... any chance of a teeny tiny hint...?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm changing the windows for a start..glutton for punishment I am making my own (wish me LOTS of luck)! The internal stairs are integral to my particular shop, so I really have to add them...but not in the normal place, e.g. along side a wall. ;o)

      It's of course Harry Potter themed! lol

      I think its a great kit and much bigger than I imagined. Goes together wonderfully like all DHE kits. ;o)) Not keen on the glazing already being in the door, but I can overcome that with teeny tiny brushes.

      For now, my kit is sitting at the back of my craft table...waiting for me!

      Michelle xxx

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to seeing more I have not done 40 houses yet but I am working on it

      Delete
    3. Michelle....
      I did wonder if yours would be Harry Potter themed!
      I've been musing on changing the windows too but having done so before on my toy shop I know that's not an easy option.

      Amanda...
      It's only a matter of time...!

      Sx

      Delete