I always find that the pre-build stage of any doll's house kit is absolutely critical.
It's the time to take measurements, make plans, draw up lists and generally do all the stuff on which you wish you'd spent more time AFTER you start the build proper. As a confirmed, dyed in the wool 'kit basher' I like to thoroughly peruse ALL the possibilities before I ever put glue to wood, and this kit will be no exception.
I know exactly what I want to do with the interior but I've been thinking a lot about the exterior, and how I want it to look. I was originally leaning towards 'seaside shabby chic' but on reflection, and after a chat with Emilie, my little 'in house' dollmaker, I've decided to go for French town house style.
This poses a significant problem, in that at first glance, the bare bones of the building look nothing like a French town house.
But.
I think that with a generous dose of ingenuity I might just be able to pull it off. I like nothing better than setting myself a challenge, and this will be a challenge. I'll have to alter the doors and windows and perform some miniature magic with the whole of the outside of the building, but I think I can see a way to do it.
I'm off to the Kensington Dollshouse Festival next Friday (woohoo!) by which time I will have a firm idea of exactly what I need in the way of additional materials and where to get them.
However in the meantime, this Bank Holiday weekend, which, in the tradition of all Bank Holiday weekends will undoubtedly be wet and windy, I'm planning to set aside a goodly chunk of time in which to completely unpack the kit boxes and do a full dry build in order to make the final decisions.
So, as Emilie would say..... "Ah oui, c'est formidable...."
Good luck with it. I shall be at KDF Friday too... hope we bump into each other.
ReplyDeleteSx
Woo Hooo..( as they say) Looks like it's going to let me post on this blog!!!!! Yipppeeee. Sx
ReplyDeleteSue....
ReplyDeleteI'm sure we will bump into each other at some point.
Don't know why my other blog won't let you post but pleased that this one will :-)
Sx
I'm really looking forward to your progress with this as I'm sure you'll do it justice. I'm glad you gave this property it's own blog as I so enjoy following a project right from the delivery of the cardboard box!
ReplyDeleteI dither about so much in the early stages of planning - probably because I feel there's a better idea round the corner and that puts me off starting in the first place.
Irene.....
ReplyDeleteThanks for the vote of confidence :-)
I'm an arch ditherer too. But I do enjoy the planning stage, the one before I start making mistakes...
Sx