Tuesday, 4 December 2012

Which way to go......?

I'm at that simultaneously exhilarating and worrying part of the build where I can suddenly do any one of a dozen different things and the quandary is what to do and in what order.

I've deliberately kept it unassembled in case I have a sudden epiphany about something amazing which would be difficult, or even impossible to achieve if it was all put together.  However, at some point, preferably sooner rather than later, I do need to build the shop, if for no other reason than to get all the bits off the dining room table.

Today I painted the roof, a beautifully rich, matt black which looks stunning.  I generally tend to go for grey for roofs, and I must admit I did toy with the idea of mixing some white with the black to lighten it to grey but I'm glad I didn't.  Hopefully tomorrow I can do some more work on the l'oiel de boeuf attic windows, with a view to getting them fully installed before the weekend.  I have a few challenges to overcome with them to get them looking realistic, but until I actually start I don't know quite what I'm going to do.

I've also given the front panels of the ground and first floor a base coat of white emulsion, again with a view to a topcoat before the weekend, so that I can install all the windows and doors.

At that point I will do some more of the assembly, as I can't install the lighting runs until the building is complete.

The jury is still out on how the front will open..... again I have to get the basic construction done so that I can see what the options are.

Other progress today includes cutting the first floor balcony components, which I'll assemble after the French doors are installed, after the top paint coat is completed.

I should really make a flow chart so that I can see what to do and in what order, otherwise I'm fairly certain I'll make some catastrophic mistake......

But as the building is taking shape, an idea is forming as to how to I'll use it.  I do like my projects to have a dual purpose.  My idea ties in nicely with another project which has been on the back burner for some considerable time, so it's long overdue being dusted off and turned into reality.

I love it when a plan comes together....... 

2 comments:

  1. I hate to be in that position - don't know where to start so end up not doing anything but any progress is good progress (as long as it's done in the right order). That can take ages to work out sometimes as there's always a little job that has to be done first.

    I'm curious now as to the "other project"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene.....

    Sometimes it doesn't make any difference how much pre-planning I do. There are always several things I don't think of until it's too late!

    I shall reveal the 'other project' when I'm a bit further along with the shop. Don't want to jinx either of them!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete