Thursday, 29 November 2012

Wet paint........

More progress......

I have been painting the windows and doors, ready to distress.

These are the two first floor windows which started out in standard Victorian sash-style.  I removed the horizontal glazing bars and replaced them with a central vertical bar to give the illusion of height.  The glazing is decorated with an Art Nouveau border to further accentuate the tall, narrow window panes.  The fancy metalwork Juliet balconies are made from cut down bog standard plastic railings, perfectly centred (which was no easy task!)



 These are the French doors which will lead out to a balcony on the first floor.






I only noticed the difference in the fielded panel on the right when I was painting it.  I think I can fix it!  I will be painting the inside of the pediment a darker blue.  Door handles will be installed as soon as they arrive....

The ground floor shop door.....awaiting handle.  I might also add a border around the inside of the fielded panels to tie in with the window. 




The main shop window.... one of a pair.  I'm really pleased with how this has turned out!

 

And here it is in the wall section, with the corner stones.  



I will be doing a first paint coat on the wall panels today, in preparation for the top coat tomorrow.  I'm undecided about what to do underneath the windows.  Initially I was thinking of tile panels, but I'm veering more towards using the same corner stones as I did on the walls.  However, I need to experiment to see what looks best.

As always, comments, ideas and suggestions are extremely welcome!




3 comments:

  1. Your etched glass has turned out very well and I can see why you're so pleased with the shop window. It's looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Irene....

    I tend to fly by the seat of my pants on projects like this. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I keep having ideas for different things to do as I go along. So much for all that planning!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far....an absolute triumph!! The windows and all the etching has worked wonderfully - not to mention the balconies!
    Seat of pants....way to go!!
    Rx

    ReplyDelete