Friday, 9 November 2012

Frustrating fenêtres

During a working lull this afternoon, while I was waiting for some glue to dry, I decided to have a go at working out my French-style windows.

The basic shop windows and door completely lack the elegant proportions of archetypal tall, narrow windows so I have to use a certain amount of legerdemain to suggest that they do.

To achieve this I will have to remove certain glazing bars from the existing windows and introduce a more French look by the cunning use of 'etched' patterns on the glass.

I'm reasonably confident (she says.... without a great deal of confidence) that I've worked out how to do it, and I've found the necessary materials.  So this afternoon I've been carefully measuring the windows and producing vaguely Art Nouveau designs with which to Frenchify the windows and doors.

While I was at it I also designed the sign boards above the shop windows so that they tie-in with the other frames.

I'll do a test run tomorrow to see how my idea will work.

Or not.

If it's the latter you will very likely hear my anguished cries across the land.

Sacrebleu......!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Mais oui... seulement un petit peu.

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've not heard any "anguished cries" yet so they must be working out ok so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene....

    My weekend work ethic was completely derailed by a rush of orders, which had to take precedence over messing about with windows.
    It's looking promising though.....
    Sx

    ReplyDelete