Thursday, 10 January 2013

Mind the gap........

I'm ashamed to see that my last post was on 16 December.  I was full of good intentions to crack on with the shop over Christmas, but readers of my main blog, Tales from a Toymaker, will no doubt be aware that I was laid low with a chest infection so I was unable to do anything much except lie in bed and suffer.   

As a result I'd made no progress at all....until yesterday, when I was finally able to set aside some time and space to get on with it.

So, I've now completed all the internal wallpapering and am glueing the windows and doors in place, prior to adding the internal finishing touches - window frames, sills, door architraves etc.  

I also think I've worked out how to fit the chandelier in the ground floor shop, although it involves routing a channel for the wire across the floor of the workroom upstairs.  I could avoid doing this by using copper tape under the flooring, or across the ceiling but I'm loathe to cut the wire really short.  I'm also trying to avoid doing any soldering!  However, once I've got the remaining panels fixed in place I'll have a better idea of how it's all going to come together.

Anyway, photos of progress, real or imagined have been thin on the ground of late so here's how it looks currently in it's dry build state.....

And yes, I do realise that one of the walls is upside down as the wallpaper doesn't match, but they're not glued in place yet so I can rectify that!
I've also been planning the layout of the display units in the workroom and have discovered that I'm short of a single width unit like this....

If anybody knows where I can find something similar, in bare wood, no wider than 4" I'd be eternally grateful as apparently they're rarer than hen's teeth at the moment.  I have a double unit in a similar style which is surplus to requirements so I'd also be happy to swap for a single unit if anyone has one going spare.

Right, better get back to it..... hopefully there will be a lot more news to report in the next few days.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment